The good thing about owning quite a number of cookbooks is being able to take bits and pieces of various recipes and making your own custom-made dish. The same goes for baking. This week I was craving pistachios and immediately starting looking up recipes to incorporate them in. Since I could not go out to purchase missing ingredients, I mish-mashed three recipes and came out with my own take of the:
Pistachio and Apricot Cake with a White Chocolate Frosting:
120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, soft
120ml whole milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
(I added 30g roasted pistachios and some chopped up dried apricots).
80g white chocolate
300g icing sugar
150g unsalted butter, soft
– Heat up the oven at 170 Celcius.
– Mix the four, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a mixer and beat slowly till it’s of a breadcrumb consistency.
– Gradually pour in 60ml of the milk and mix.
– In the other 60ml of milk, mix in the vanilla and beaten egg.
– Add this to the flour mixture and beat. Fold in the pistachios and apricots and bake for around 20 minutes, until an inserted knife comes out clean. Leave out to cool.
– For the frosting, melt the white chocolate. Beat the butter and half of the sugar.
– Add the chocolate and gradually add the remaining 150g of sugar.
– Sprinkle and decorate as you wish 🙂
Yum, yum – Enjoy!